Site materials are based on the research, theories and clinical treatment and organizational development strategies of Martin G. Groder, M.D. and Anastasia Rosen-Jones (formerly Marcia E. Rosen). The Groder-Rosen formal name for the "Dark Side" is the "Survivor Addict".

Sunday, August 1, 2021

Can The Word "Cult" Be Used Other Than Referencing "Dark" Doings

Update in progress (9.27.21)

My answer is YES! 

My NH ZOP Board Members, on the other hand, aren't quite so sure. Their same reservation goes for my use of the word "counterculture."

"Expect pushback, says Taylor, if you are going to be using those words in hopes the general public will grasp the uniqueness and awesomeness of what we have been doing for decades and are doing now."

Wikipedia suggests scholars consider both these words, cult and counterculture, various usages to be controversial. I am aware of the potential -- and -- remain undaunted.  I am choose to use these words to provocatively make our anti-dark side project a bit noisier than its been for awhile -- and -- noticeable!

To Taylor I respond -- "Simply asked, Taylor, do you think I would be going to all the trouble I am presently, if I didn't want to be noticed! 

That's my "new gig," so to speak, I tell her, redirecting "My authentic self is invisible to the naked eye -- and I'm going to keep it that way!!!" script and survival script -- as per GRAD theory -- I've been living onto a new path.

Script-free! And, believe me I've earned this accolade!

So there you have it!

My board members and I discuss the issues at hand here. We will want to explore the subject further, more in-depth and offer our various rationales for using these words or not. 

Herein lies the potential for an enlightening conversation and we dig in to it energetically, assured that each one's view will be respected. If cult-like can be used to describe the passion of our discussion, we are certainly displaying its positive attributes.

Here's another angle in favor of my use of the word.

A cult can refer to a group of followers or supporters who are highly dedicated -- we are that!! -- to a piece of artwork.

Yes! What we are doing through our Mindful Cult of GRAD is a work of art!

I think this is what I hold as a vision for our community-based, beautifully crafted approach to how to fix what presently ails our country and the folks that comprise it by creating and working to sustain small "zones of peace" through our various projects and programs. 

One further comment. Then I rest my case:

Most commonly, according to wikipedia, a cult is a social group typically defined by its unusual .. philosophical beliefs, or by its common interest in a particular ...goal

Well, we certainly are that a group defined by a most unusual perspective:

Trust in one another and in our group to each have the "courage" to keep talking truth to power, truth to one another.

The words which we find most commonality are --

Affliliation, movement and group

Amy Ryan (2000) has argued for the need to differentiate those groups that may be dangerous from groups that are more benign.[15] Ryan notes the sharp differences between definitions offered by cult opponents, who tend to focus on negative characteristics, and those offered by sociologists, who aim to create definitions that are value-free. The movements themselves may have different definitions of religion as well.[16

End of subject.

We are to be: The Mindful Cult of GRAD and proud to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment